2012年7月3日 星期二

Telecommuting - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words


We all know that telecommuters get less "face time" with their co-workers, but some get none at all. If you're a full-time telecommuter, perhaps living too far away to commute by car, you may only see your co-workers when you get on a plane and fly out for an on-site meeting. Or if you're in a company where there are offices in different parts of the country (or even different countries altogether), regardless of how often you come in, you may have close co-workers who you've never seen at all.

Sure, you can build a relationship through phone calls and emails. I've had plenty of close working relationships with people I had never met in person. Heck, I even had a boss once who I didn't meet face-to-face for nearly two years! Email is an effective medium for getting basic work done and during phone calls you can normally even fit in opportunities to get to know each other a little. You can find out if your coworker is married, has kids, learn what his or her hobbies are, etc. And this kind of personal knowledge can help you bond in areas of common interest, and can enhance your working relationship. As we get to know each other personally, we have more trust in each other, are more willing to go above and beyond to help the other person out, learn where we can rely on each other, etc. So I've found that I can get to know people quite well and have a great relationship with them, without having any idea of what they look like. But then one day I'll stumble across a co-worker's picture on LinkedIn or they'll send out a picture from a team off-site meeting that they were in, and I'll do a double-take. "Wow, Bob, that's not how I pictured you!" To which the response is invariably "Oh? How did you picture me?"

My answer is that I didn't even realize I was doing it, but somehow I had formed some kind of mental image to fill the gap. For some reason it seems that human nature drives us to try to visually picture this person with whom we've suffered through stressful or difficult work experiences, commiserated on disappointments, and shared our successes. I don't even realize I'm doing it at the time, but somehow I put a vague, imaginary face to the voice. My guess is it's a confused amalgamation of all the people I've known in my life with the same name, voice, and/or personality as my faceless co-worker. Afterwards, it somehow feels more "right" when I call up Bob for my weekly phone meeting with him, to have a voice to put with the name. I feel almost closer to Bob, and our working relationship becomes that much stronger.

So lately when I work with someone for a while but never have a chance to meet them live, I've started looking for opportunities to send them a picture of myself. In fact, I send them the address to my family website which is full of pictures of my kids too (any chance to brag about my children is, of course, taken). I figure if one picture is good, many is better! And they typically reciprocate with at least a picture or two. Give it a try. You can even try looking for opportunities to send a picture to the folks you find challenging to work with. Perhaps getting them to see you as a real human being with a real face will make them realize that you have your own set of challenges in your job and are just trying to do the best job you can under difficult circumstances like they are. Hey, if a little humanity and familiarity helps make your job easier, why not?!




Bottom Line? Experience huge gains in time, money, and stress reduction by telecommuting. You deserve it! But don't dive in unprepared. Make sure you know how working from home differs from going into the office. I invite you to get your free copy of the "Top 10 Telecommuter Mistakes list" - to learn from the mistakes of others: http://avoidgoingtowork.com/free

Nicole Bachelor, the "Master of Telecommuting Success" is the author of "How to Avoid Going to Work Without Quitting your Job". She specializes in teaching people how to effectively work from home. Nicole has been telecommuting exclusively for over 4 years, and has vast experience working with teams that are spread across the world.





This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

沒有留言:

張貼留言